Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Random Events Post

So its been an eventful week. This might be long...you can read it or not...it's ok, we've all done it. Its taken me awhile to gather all of my thoughts and organize them enough to put them all down in this post. I might throw in a few random tidbits...SOFTBALL IS OVER FOR A FEW MONTHS...WOOHOO!! I never would have said such things when I was playing, but coaching is a whole different thing...it really brings out the mean person inside of me. It was a frustrating season to say the least. I can handle having a team that loses games. We knew it would be hard these first few years of the program. I cannot, however, handle losing attitudes. They accepted failure all season long and they were defeated before they even stepped out onto the field. It was very difficult to watch. I think we got rid of all the bad seeds this season and hope we have some winners coming in next year. That is my biggest piece of news...I'm looking forward to slowing down for a few months and getting ready for this baby!! On that note, my parents drove up for a couple days last week. My mom and I have some major organizational projects we want to do in our apartment before the baby comes. Well, on this visit, we didn't get any of those done. We did, however, make some dang cute curtains (or valance) for my kitchen window. Sounds simple, yes? Everything was going great, until it was time to evenly space the hanging tabs across the curtain. Little did we know, you had to have a degree in Mathematics to accomplish this. I should have saved our notes with our equations scribbled on them, but they sounded a little like this: Number of tabs you have minus 2: this is factor A. Take factor A and multiply the length of each panel and then divide by the number of panels: this is factor B. Take factor A and B put them together and multiply them by the sum of the squareroots A and B and divide that by half of the length of the each of the 3 panels: This is factor C. And this went on until the E factor. We worked through the equation 3 times and came up with 3 different answers!! So these pictures kind of walk you through the process that day.
After my idea of just "eyeballing" it and putting them where they looked evenly spaced got shut down, my mother had an equation of her own. She's got it all under control...she just needs a tape measure...


Getting down and dirty on the sewing machine...with Riley's pink foam visor. It helps me focus. Oops...think I just messed up.



The finished product...well, semi-finished. We were spent after all the problem-solving, so the bottom isn't hemmed yet. And we decided it needs more tabs...oh great...I hope I saved my notes...




And since this is the random events post, I'll finish by saying that I am close to 28 weeks pregnant now. I am nearing the time my water broke and I gave birth to Riley. I'm getting a little nervous, but I know that whatever is going to happen will happen, so I can't really stress out about it. But just keep us in your prayers and think happy thoughts about a big, chubby, healthy baby.

Thanks for reading!! More to come...hopefully more on a regular basis now that SOFTBALL IS OVER!!
And P.S. I didn't proofread, so sorry

7 comments:

Holly said...

Whatever you did with the ribbon...it looks very cute. I love sewing with mom, but afterwards I feel like I want to go and disorganize something on purpose or hang a picture on the wall crooked, just for normalcy's sake.

Becky Davis said...

Take that back, Hol! You know you love it.(by the way, there's no ribbon.) !

Tracy said...

Hi!! Oh how I miss you guys!! It sounds like everything is wonderful with everyone. Thanks for the link to your blog. Now I can stay up on whats going on. We are so happy for you and Dillon. love ya and miss ya.
-Tracy

Marinda said...

What does "Factor C" have to do with curtains? That is sooo funny. I can picture it like I was there. Needless to say they turned out very cute.
Thanks for the update.

Mom- I think Holly was talking about the ribbon on Andrea's shirt.

Brit said...

HI, thanks for link. I haven't seen you in forever and this is an awesome way to keep caught up. It looks you guys are doing great, Riley is getting so big. Congrats on the new baby girl on the way.
We are all doing good, we have been in our house in WJ for almost 2years now. Dan works down in Orem and I get to stay home with the kids. Heston is 2 1/2 and cute as hell but he is all boy and a handfull sometimes(but what do I expect after all he is my kid). Ayvree is 3 months now and getting chubbier every day. Well thats our little family in a nutshell. I hope to keep in touch a little more now. Maybe next time your in town we can all get togher so we can catch up. Good luck with everyting
I miss you
Love Brit

MyR said...

I'm an eyeballer...or at least I stick with simple mathmatical equations. Once you start into those Statistics-sounding problems I check out! I couldn't even read that part...I skipped most of it. They turned out cute though. Good job crafty!

tiny said...

I remember the inadequate feeling of hitting 30 weeks, when Lainey was born, and I was pregnant with my second. I was hoping to get past that week. :) It will come, just think positive thoughts and tell that baby she is going to be FULL TERM!!! I remember running into your mom on the elevator at LDS Hospital when Lainey was in the NICU and she told me how Riley came early and you spent time in the NICU. Not fun times but they seem to have happened 100 years ago. :)

By the way cute curtains!