Sunday, July 20, 2008

The "N"(ICU) Word

The NICU haunts me in my nightmares. Well, I am convinced that I may never have an enjoyable birthing experience. After enduring 3 long months in the NICU with Riley, I was sure that this time would be different. We were so close to it... Let me bring you up to speed. I was 37 weeks pregnant with moderate to severe pregnancy-induced hypertension. I was in the doctor every day last week get blood pressure checks and urine checks. I felt so horrible every day. So when the on-call doctor offered to give me my c-section that day, (which you should NEVER do to a miserable pregnant woman...) with the assurance that she would have a LESS THAN 1% chance of spending time in the NICU, I fought back and forth with it and ultimately ended up taking the offer. So I'm here to announce the birth of Parker Florence Wilson. Born 7/17/08, 7 lbs., 19.5 inches. "Full-term". I saw her come out in the O.R. and cried because she was crying immediately and she was big and chubby and pink. Later learned that she was 7 pounds, breathing room air, APGARS of 8 and 9, and in the well-baby nursery. Later learned in the recovery room that she had been taken to the NICU to be checked out. Thought it was a joke...Anyway, the rest is history. Couldn't have picked a better weekend to have a baby in the NICU. They typically do not have neonatoligists see the babies, just the pediatricians. Well, my pediatrician has been out of town all week, and so his son, who is a neonatologist from Salt Lake City and whom I worked with at Primary Childrens Medical Center, has been here all week. He has been so wonderful and we're so blessed that Parker is receiving such wonderful care from him. He has also saved my sanity by explaining that Parker is full-term and her lungs are properly developed and I didn't jeopardize her health by opting for the early c-section. She is just fighting an infection in her lungs (most likely pneumonia) and its taking her a little longer than we thought it would. We are blessed to have her here, yet, even after a miserable last month of pregnancy, I already miss being pregnant and being so close to her. Cant wait to bring her home!!!













7 comments:

Marinda said...

She is beautiful! Parker just didn't want Riley to totally out-do her with the whole NICU experience.
She wanted to be able to say "Hey look sistah I had tubes also!"
Can't wait to come up and see you guys.
Love ya

Carrie said...

Oh Dree! She is beautiful and despite the tubes - looks perfect. You guys did good! She is in my prayers for a quick recovery and you too! (I would have opted to be done early as well, bu-bye heart burn!). Congrats!!!!!

Jenny said...

How exciting to have her here!!! Congratulations!! What a sweet baby girl! So fun to see baby pics on your blog! :)

Holly said...

Oh poor little P-Flo.... I was frantically trying to call you again before the c-section to see if you could ask her before she came out of your belly to talk to my son about coming down sooner than later. I imagined them like on "Saturday's Warriors" with their flowing chiffon outfits waiting to be lightning bolted to earth by the old lady with the clipboard. I'm so glad Parker is here, cant wait to see her. Until then..I'll be sitting here big as barn holding my 40 lb. 2 year old who wont stop crying, fighting the urge to organize anything that will hold still....

Brett said...

BEAUTIFUL baby guys! You did great! Love Hollys nickname for her. The FLorences cant wait to meet little P-FLo. We will keep her in our prayers.

Ashli said...

Oh my...what an experience. I am happy that she is here. I will be praying for you guys. I hope you are feeling okay too! Can't wait to see pics of her at home with her big sis!!!

MyR said...

So, I just rambled a big long message to you but had to tell you here too...CONGRATS!!! I'm so excited for you! I'm glad everything went well and hope you are all home and happy and healthy. CALL ME DANG IT!!! ;)